A Style for Free-Spirited Women – a Style with an enduring popularity – Boho-chic !
As Spring is on our door step, the sun is ‘sometimes’ coming out there is one style that springs to mind that I am just loving, it is casual but feminine and elegant and made for carefree days away from the office and away from everyday worries. Boho-chic is definitely a Style for Free-Spirited Women.
Boho–chic is a style of fashion drawing on various bohemian and hippie influences, which in the past has been associated particularly with actress Sienna Miller, actress and business woman Mary-Kate Olsen and model Kate Moss
Boho-chic is a classic look and one that has been around for a while, so how can we take it into 2017/2018 summer in a way that makes it fresh?
There is a fine line of getting this look right and looking like you are dressed in a Hippie Halloween costume. Here’s some go to pieces plus do’s and don’ts for experimenting with this look :
- One of the keys to subtle Boho-chic style is please avoid wearing this style top to toe. For example refrain from wearing a flowery maxi dress with a fringe bag or a flowery crown in your hair. Try a one statement piece with a neutral basic item.
- Try hippie inspired accessories with low-key/understated clothing.
- Try the flowery or tasseled maxi teamed with natural effortless makeup.
- Mix together a patterned skirt or shorts with a straw hat and espadrilles. Experiment with patterns and pops of colour.
- When building a Boho-chic wardrobe, maxi skirts are a staple. They are comfortable and effortless. Florals, paisley and aztec all work beautifully. Stick with one statement print.
- Bohemian style usually features flowy and airy materials (this does not mean baggy and shapeless!) Shorter dresses should be comfortable yet flattering, swing dresses are a fab option.
- Avoid neons.
- Boho-chic maxis can come in sold colours but they are usually printed. Opt for looser, flowy cuts over tight, form fitting ones.
- For the feet : Tie up sandals are a bold choice and certainly work well with the Boho look. Try a nice pair of knee high boots with skirts and dresses, ankle booties are must haves for a Boho chic wardrobe. Comfortable and versatile, you can wear them to create day and evening looks in Spring, Summer and Autumn. Choose chunky heels over stilettos and favour tan/brown/beige/grey boots over black which is harsh and too edgy. Suede over leather is also the best look and for the same reasons.
Before you head out and invest in this look ask yourself is it your Style… maybe it’s not, or maybe parts of it are. Run with that and incorporate it as you choose or simply admire it from afar and continue with your look and your Fashion Personality.
I’d love to hear your thoughts and keep it in mind if you would like to bring it into your ‘Look’ simply ask me and we’ll go from there.
Your in Style,